Tech experts believe that augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) will reach an all-time high in 2017. Though the majority of the applications of these technologies are found in the gaming industry, other companies and organizations are considering AR and VR’s other potentials.
Medical practitioners, for instance, are eyeing VR’s potential as a post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) treatment while some educational institutions are already applying the technology to provide training simulations for their students. Experts believe that there is a high possibility these technologies will be integrated as a staple tool in web design and development.
SEO companies may need to add AR- and VR-designed techniques to their optimization repertoire. They would need to develop specialized SEO services to include these technologies into their brand-boosting campaigns.
AR and VR applications, however, do not always yield the best results. To fully comprehend what they could and could not offer, here are the advantages and disadvantages of AR and VR.
AR allows developers to layer computer-generated enhancements over reality in a way that complements their target theme. Though AR blends the layers, the digital additions are often intentionally distinct.
- Improves gaming experience – Companies that integrate AR into their games enhance user experience by blurring the boundaries of reality and graphics.
- Promotes website personality – Over the years, many websites have integrated AR into their overall design to attract users and generate traffic. The technology’s aesthetic enhancements and additional interactivity have established it as a sought-after web design tool. In fact, some SEO companies have already begun optimizing AR for their clients.
- Upgrades various media platforms – Though its application in broadcast and recreational media was not that apparent, many broadcast companies have been using AR in their sports newscasts for years.
- Modifies reality – AR can introduce something new and intriguing atop something so ordinary and mundane. There is no limit to what a developer can design using this technology.
- Increases privacy threats – AR often requires sensitive information that can compromise the user’s privacy and safety. For instance, the recent Pokemon Go application that sparked a worldwide craze obligates their players to hook up to a GPS.
- Raises advertisements spams – Most AR applications require Internet connection in order to function. If the necessary blockers are not installed, ads can flood the platform and disrupt user experience.
- Operates with expensive requirements – Not everyone can develop AR-based applications. The creation of a quality AR platform calls for expensive equipment that are hard to come by and the experts that could operate this machinery.
VR involves the development of a digital world to recreate a place or situation. With a VR-specific headset, the technology emulates realism—to a breathtaking and sometimes terrifying degree—by tapping into the user’s visual and auditory senses. The virtual world is entirely computer-generated.
- Enhances gaming experience – Games that harness VR elevates user experience to a whole new level. In VR games, players do not just control their players; they are the players.
- Opens avenues for scientific discovery and development – Researchers are conducting studies on how VR can help treat various conditions such as PTSD and how they can utilize the technology as an instrument in their scientific ventures.
- Elevates teaching and learning practices – Teachers from various fields can utilize VR to take their discussions to the next level. For instance, science teachers can project an accurate presentation of the human anatomy and art teachers can show detailed architecture and structures to their students without leaving the classroom.
- Provides a safe yet competitive training environment – Educational institutions that teach the necessary skills required in risky work fields, such as aviation and law enforcement, often use VR simulations to evaluate their student’s performance before they practice the real deal.
- Induces motion-related sickness – The enhancement of user experience also has its drawbacks. At the very least, VR can cause motion sickness due to its highly immersive nature.
- Performs with expensive equipment – Users can only access this technology with the proper equipment such as a head-mounted display (HMD) helmet and VR-designed gloves. Both gadgets are extremely expensive, thereby limiting VR’s accessibility to those who can afford them.
- Operates in highly restrictive environment – Distance is a deceiving and painful component in VR applications. Traversing miles in the virtual world may involve a lot of accidental aches as users bump and trip their way around their living room.
Given all these points, AR and VR are transforming this era’s tech realm, not just in the gaming industry but in other thriving fields as well.
Both strive to enhance user experience through their own distinct ways.
Through AR’s practice of overlaying artificial enhancements over reality, users can boost their gaming experience, elevate their web platforms and promote their brand identity. Its drawbacks, however, include privacy threats, ad spams and high expenses.
VR, on the other hand, has already proven its worth in various fields. Though gaming companies are its most prominent users; the medical, scientific and education industry have also benefited from its highly immersive features.
Experts believe that in time, SEO services will need to include AR and VR updates to their optimization repertoire. Despite their various pros and cons, AR and VR are well on their way to securing a permanent spot in today’s tech landscape.